Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Project Homeless Connect Seeks Volunteers

Last year an email told me to bring my bike tools to the Lane County Event Center to work on bikes. Because I love helping people ride bikes I inadvertently showed up to a Project Homeless Connect.

While I worked on some of the hardest used bicycles I have ever seen the owners visited the booths that filled the convention center. This one-day event gives homeless people access to many basic human needs. The booths offer a plethora of services, including: medical care, bike repair and legal help. Obviously this event does not fix the underlying problems that cause homelessness, but for the people affected, I'm sure it makes their day a little better.

Volunteers make this event happen. On Thursday, March 18th from 9am to 3pm the event center will be filled with people expecting help. You don't have to be a bike mechanic to volunteer; people are needed to fill all roles, from setting up tables to sorting recycling. To sign up to volunteer visit the United Way.  Or to learn more about the event visit http://www.homelessconnect.org/  (and maybe you could even update their website).


I hope to see you there.

No comments: