Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fashioning Resistance to Militarism: Thursday Night

Resisting Militarism Fashion Show
Thursday, May 13, 2010
7:00pm - 10:00pm
Agate Hall, University of Oregon


We here at the 'Surgent consider ourselves incredibly fashionable people. The other day I was feeling incredibly fashionable and decided to bust out my dad's old leather jacket. As I strutted my stuff down the runway that is 13th avenue I was humbled by the fashion police. He told me the epaulettes on my jacket went out of style 5 years ago, but recently they've been resurrected by people who want to make an implicit statement against fashion. Of course I then threw off my jacket and walked home crying. (Of course I forgot I was wearing my cat/rose sweater which made everything even worse.)

Now all this could have been avoided if I had taken the time to think about why my jacket had pointless military accouterments sewed on its shoulders. I blame my father for my bad style choices. If I wanted to pretend I was in the army I should have checked with the blogosphere first and made sure epaulettes were still "in."

I will have to check out the Militarism Fashion Show to see all the great ways military fashion has crept into the mainstream.

Resisting Militarism Fashion Show
Thursday, May 13, 2010
7:00pm - 10:00pm
Agate Hall, University of Oregon



From the event's Facebook page:

Military clothing has long been adopted into civilian wardrobes.
Even the khaki slacks available in every casual clothing line have military origins.

Fashioning Resistance to Militarism

Presents a provocative and eye-catching exposé of how militarism has seeped into our homes, our closets, and our minds.

Produced by UO students, staff, and faculty in collaboration with Eugene community members, this unique fashion show features original designs that challenge some pervasive assumptions about militarism. This show uncovers the high costs of militarism in terms of people’s lives, their emotional wellbeing, environmental contamination, carbon footprint, war profiteering, and all the ways war is made to seem normal…

Don’t miss this “counter couture” for peace and justice.

Thursday May 13, 7pm
Agate Hall Auditorium (@Agate and18th)


Organized by University of Oregon, Women’s and Gender Studies Department, and Oregon WAND (Women’s Action for New Directions).

Co-sponsors: Center for the Study of Women in Society, Oregon Center for Humanities

2 comments:

GriselJuhasz said...

may the blessing be always with you!! ........................................

Nemo said...

But now, in the late '70s, the popularity of the show MASH and the Iranian revolution came together. All the Iranian kids started wearing green Army jackets. Then the non-Iranians did. Prices shot up.

There were the Black Panthers in their turtlenecks, black leather jackets and berets.

Military clothes are fine. Just make sure it's the right military clothing.