Dear Mr. DeFazio:
As a veteran I am appalled by the long history of lawless, deceptively justified violence visited by our country both covertly and overtly upon other peoples, and visited by Israel upon the Palestinian people with our military aid and diplomatic protection. The US remains the only obstacle to justice for the robbed and brutalized, almost entirely helpless Palestinians of both the West Bank and Gaza.
I am national vice chair of the Veterans for Peace working group on Israel/Palestine, and we have drafted the following notice for distribution to our chapters nationwide to urge actions in their own communities against HR 1501, an outrageous resolution. I ask that you oppose HR 1501 vigorously.
Jack Dresser, Ph.D.
Behavioral Research Scientist
Political & Prevention Psychology
National Vice Chair, Israel/Palestine Working Group, Veterans for Peace
Co-director, The Al-Nakba Awareness Project
House Resolution 1501 would Provide Israel Impunity for Gaza Crimes http://www.endtheoccupation.org/article.php?id=2961
In a brazen display of the political power of the Israel Lobby over US Middle East foreign policy, legislation has passed the Senate and is now pending in the House to withhold US dues to the UN indefinitely contingent on UN retraction of their Goldstone Mission report. More information is available at the above link. This is a clear effort at extortion to cover up a crime, a felony in any jurisdiction in the developed world. This represents a disgraceful capitulation by our elected leaders to the efforts of a foreign government to evade international law. Congress will be in recess next week and our representatives will be home and accessible to personal visits, demonstrations and other forms of direct communication by constituents. We urge VFP members in districts represented by House members who voted to reject the Goldstone Report to remind them that:
1. Judge Goldstone suggested that further evidence might revise only one of 36 probable war crimes documented in the report.
2. All other members of the commission stand by the report in its entirety, without qualification of any kind.
3. The UN’s McGowan-Davis follow-up committee reports no credible self-investigation by Israel.
4. The US Foreign Assistance Act prohibits foreign aid to any country with a repeated pattern of human rights abuses.
5. Israel’s inhumane blockade of Gaza includes multiple human rights abuses over four years documented by the UN and other international organizations.
6. The US Arms Export Control Act prohibits use of US-supplied weapons except for legitimate self-defense.
7. Many US weapons were used in Operation Cast Lead.
8. The cease-fire was broken by Israel on our election day in 2008, killing six Palestinians, and the retaliatory Qassam rockets launched from Gaza without explosive warheads or directional controls injured no one in Israel.
9. Israel’s subsequent attack indiscriminately killed over 1,400 Palestinians in Gaza including over 300 children and deliberately targeted the civilian police force.
10. The Fourth Geneva Convention prohibits collective punishment, abuse of an occupied population, and use of disproportionate force.
11. General Petraeus has reported that unconditional US support of Israel infuriates the Muslim world and endangers our troops in the CENTCOM theater of operation.
12. This action would constitute extortion to cover up a crime.
A summary of the Goldstone Mission findings is attached in MS Word and PDF formats.
A list of US representatives rejecting the report can be found at http://blog.unwatch.org/?p=511.